cc:Mail

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 7 21:00:32 CDT 2020

On 10/7/20 7:43 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
> I don't remember Guardian, but I do remember CC:Remote. It did use an
> interface system it would call and copy down the person's mailbox file
> as a weird sub-mailbox. I mean it worked, but it was a pain.

Ya.  Any time you try to have a local / cached copy of a mail box things
get interesting.

The *ONLY* thing that I've seen handle it well is Lotus Notes & Domino.

> Yes. Novell bought it from Wordperfect Inc, and re-badged Office to
> GroupWise. Groupwise could run as a shared file model or a client-server
> system with a POA running on NLMs. That worked pretty well, and I used
> that at Science from 2000-2013 or so.

Interesting.

Now WordPerfect Office is on my to mess with list at some point.

cc:Mail has been on it.  That particular itch is being scratched now.

> But it still had the SMTP NLM.

:-)

> CC:Mail was very parsnickity and blew up a lot. Likewise the SMTP
> gateway was very unreliable, I finally ran it on OS/2, but that wasn't
> around in late 1980's/early 90's.

Ah.

Such was the case with most Post Office / shared directory structure
mail systems.

> Sure! One of these days I really need to write all this stuff down.

:-)

> There was a lot going on at the dawn of the internet age, I still
> remember when we had the ceiling collapse at the Computer Society
> because all the serial cables in the ceiling for the VAX overloaded the
> drop ceiling.
>
> It was a funny moment that morning, a Sparc20 smushed under a ceiling.

Funny "ha ha" or "uh oh"?  I'm betting the latter.  At least at the time.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die