cc:Mail

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Oct 7 13:41:06 CDT 2020

Back in the 1990s, a company I used to work for offered email services
to people running cc:Mail, Lotus Notes, MSMAIL, Pegasus Mail and various
other oddball mail servers (X.400 even) using PMDF on VMS.  PMDF is still
a commercial product but a hobbyist license is available.  PMDF is also
available to run on UNIX (and Windows) but I don't know whether the same
gateways to esoteric systems and hobbyist license are available on those
platforms.

I recall one of the problems with cc:Mail (and Lotus Notes) was that it
did not not have any concept of "envelope addresses".  This meant that it
was nearly impossible to avoid message loops in the case of undeliverable
messages, especially when mailing lists were involved.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.