Anyone have spare DipStik sockets?

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Feb 23 12:29:42 CST 2019

On 2/23/19 11:18 AM, Carl Claunch via cctech wrote:
> In the early 1970s a socket to hold multiple DIP chips was being sold
> under the brand name DipStik. Up to six chips were inserted in a trough
> in the socket, a top screwed on with thumbscrews on the ends. It had
> solder lugs on the top and bottom for each of the chip pins.
>
> We are restoring an old electronic device that was built in part with
> these, but due to some corrosion we could use replacement DipStik units
> if anyone has them.

I don't have an answer for you.

But I do think I know where I have seen what you're talking about.

Curious Marc and compatriots—one of whom is named Carl—are restoring an
Apollo Guidance Computer, and an external Rope Memory (?) emulator that
has what I believe are the DipStiks that you're talking about.

The DipStiks do seem like an interesting thing.  I thought there was the
possibility of soldering on both the outside bottom of the trough and
the top plate that holds DIPs in place.

Sorry, I don't have links to specific videos, much less time stamps
handy at the moment.

If you're curious to see what I think are DipStiks and / or the Apollo
Guidance Computer, go check out Curious Marc's videos.  I think they are
great.  I have found all of Curios Marc's and compatriots projects
entertaining and enlightening.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die