RS/6000 7043-140 boot floppies

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Mon Feb 18 12:42:58 CST 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:49 PM Alan Perry via cctech <
cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Is there some trick to making boot floppies for the RS/6000 7043-140 (a
> mid-90s PReP architecture machine)?
>

> The NetBSD boot floppy images are confusing to me. The files are too
> large to fit on a 1.44M floppy. I didn't see instructions on how to make
> boot floppies out of the .fs files one can download in the install
> instructions. I went ahead and tried to dd the part that fits onto a
> 1.44M floppy and try to boot that and of course that failed. I have
> e-mailed the NetBSD prep mailing list and no response from that.

I'd strongly suggest setting up a netboot server. You'll need
dhcp/bootp and tftp, but it's way better than trying to deal with floppy
disks and floppy booting.  I've used it succesfully for NetBSD and Linux on
a '140.

I never tried Solaris, because I have no interest in Solaris, but it should
work the same there.

Pat