IBM 3174 C 6.4 Microcode Disks?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Thu Feb 14 21:28:38 CST 2019

Classic Computer Fans,

I posted this to the IBM-Legacy-Hercules mailing list.  I just realized it
probably wouldn't hurt to post it here too.

I'm finally in possession of a box that hopefully is capable or can be made
capable of connecting a real terminal to Hercules.  It's a 3174 11L.  It was
retired last year where I work.  I finally got the okay to save it from
being sent to a scrapper.  I love the build quality of older IBM gear,
except when I'm trying to move such gear.  Between the 3174 and a 9406-520 I
also acquired, I pulled or strained something in my left arm moving them
into place.

It's currently wired to run on 220v.  I think I've seen mentioned somewhere
that it can be changed to run on 110v.  If that's the case, does anyone have
a pointer to documentation on what's involved?

It has dual floppy drives.  At least one drive is a 2.4MB drive.  But, all
the microcode disks I have are at level B 4.6.  Does anyone know where I can
get a set of C 6.4 control and control extension disks.  From what I've
heard those are what's needed to enable an attached terminal to connect to
other systems via telnet.

It has a token ring card.  I will probably be able to get the MAU it was
connected to, and possibly the router that acted as a token ring to Ethernet
bridge.

I'm not sure how much memory it has.  Does anyone have any tips on
determining the amount of memory it has, and/or identifying its boards?
These are the numbers on its boards:

    9210
    9351
    9052 z2
    9053
    9501

Plus the boards for coax connections.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Posted by: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin at RawFedDogs.net>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)