Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Fri Nov 23 15:23:20 CST 2018

At 06:54 PM 23/11/2018 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 11:55:18AM +1100, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:
>[...]
>>
>> I see them because I'm using an old email client - Eudora 3 (1997.)
>> I stick with this specifically _because_ it doesn't understand UTF-8
>> or any other non-ASCII coding, especially in the header, and hence
>> simply ignores any executables in the headers or email body. Which
>> makes it totally virus proof, unlike Microsoft's intentionally
>
>Totally say totally.

Except it turns out some feel that rejecting UTF-8 is culturally insensitive.
I agree they have a point. But for my practical purposes, all the 'UTF-8 in header'
messages that end up in my trash folder are all, always, spam. I do check.
(And now someone's going to start posting cctalk messages with UTF-8 in Subject,
just watch.)

>> open-backdoor junk like Outlook. And most other email 'modern
>> wonders.'  Eudora barely even understands html in emails, and I'm
>> fine with that. Also I have it configured to dust-bin any incomimg
>> mail containing UTF-8 chars in the Subject header. Avoids a lot of
>> time-wasting.
>[...]
>>
>> But first, I'm having a problem with some portion of cctalk posts
>> going missing, ie I don't receive all messages.  The ratio seems to
>> vary day to day. Sometimes no obvious missing, sometimes a lot.
>> Still don't know why, or how to fix this. Any suggestions?
>
>Turn off trashing mails with Unicode in Subject and see if this solves
>a problem?

Ha, I knew someone would say that. But no, I do check the email trash bin
regularly (before emptying it) and so far no cctalk or cctech emails are
being diverted to there. My filter for them runs before the UTF-filter (last.)
I'm guessing it's an overly picky spam filter somewhere in the network
routes into Australia.

Guy