OT: lenses (Was: Front Panels - PDP8 and PDP 11

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Mar 9 19:53:00 CST 2016

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 5:25 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> posters!  The  lens was a Goerz Red Dot  Artar and the  sharpest  flat field  lens
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2016, Rod Smallwood wrote:
>> Thanks,,
>>   Our cam was fitted with a high grade Ziess lens that cost a fortune even then,
>
> Zeiss made a lot of lenses, some of which were great.
> Goerz made a few of the greatest lenses ever made.
>
> For personal use, I'm looking for Leitz Summicron in all focal lengths, and Nikkor 105mm that was made in mid 1960s.
> And, if I can ever get a 4x5 digital back, I want a Goerz Dagor.
> All out of my price range.

Personally I need a nice ASPH 28mm or 35mm Summicron.  I have the original Nikkon 35mm f/2, one of the very first made, it’s been Ai’d, and it’s an AMAZING lens.

The Goerz Dagor’s are actually pretty cheap at the moment, I’ve been thinking about them for my 8x10.  I’m using a mixture of modern lenses on my 4x5.

Somehow I don’t ever expect a digital 4x5 back to be affordable.  I know one Photographer that has one, and it’s really only useable for reproduction work, in the studio.  Keep in mind that digital backs that can cover 4x5 or larger are scanning backs.  Have you considered adapting a scanner as one?  I’ve seen in the past where folks have done that.  Personally except for one project, I shoot B&W film when I’m shooting 4x5 or 8x10, I then process and print it myself.  For the 8x10 (and hopefully eventually 11x14), I only shoot B&W, and only contact print.

Zane