Retro Reproduction 2

rod rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 24 07:11:20 CDT 2015

Hello Tony
             Well like a lot of things its not always simple.
Lets deal with the GT40 first.
  Well I know why I picked the car as opposed to the display.
In the late 1960's I did what was called a sandwich course.
Part of the time at work and part at college.
I worked in the test lab of a local cable manufacturer
The guy I worked for was in his sixties and would retire soon.
He had  been a racing driver prewar and knew everybody in car racing.

So well as having a test lab with every kind of electronic test
equipment you could ever want.
I spent a lot of time at race tracks. At nineteen what more could you want.

Anyway one day I came back from lunch to find a GT40 parked outside the lab.
It was very sparse inside just bare fiber glass, wiring and a small
passenger seat.

My boss said oh you have seen it then? Want a ride? Dave will take you.
I said it was a bit spartan inside.
Oh yes its just raced at LeMans ( can't remember if they won that year)
we have to keep the weight down

I'm 5'7" and weighed about 130 pounds in those days and I could get in.
My boss could not!
Suffice to say off we went and headed up to Maidenhead where the M4
began in those days.
It was unrestricted and what followed was a blur, the vibration  , the
noise.
No speedometer just a large rev counter.

When we got back there was my boss with a big grin on his face.
The driver stayed in the car and we waved him off.

Bill (the boss) took me in his office and poured me a small scotch from
his  private supply.
I said I was a bit shook up. He said he was not surprised as 180 mph in
a GT40 would do that.

Happy Days oh yes!

Rod