Rich kids are into COBOL

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Wed Mar 4 10:39:50 CST 2015

On Mar 3, 2015, at 4:00 PM, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm just revealing the paucity of the languages I know, but it
> does to me - in particular, it's one of the very few languages I know
> in which arrays are first-class objects, and the only one I know with a
> reasonably rich set of operators tuned for operating on arrays.

Mouse,
	one other, which you may or may not classify as a “language”, is Mathematica.

	I hesitate a little to recommend it, because for most of its history, the price of entry has been pretty high, but at the moment it’s a free download for Raspbian on Raspberry Pi, which puts it in the $50 US or so range, depending on what cables, power supplies, etc. you need to buy and assuming you already have monitor, KB, and mouse and can supply ethernet connection.

	I do recognize also that the language has a pretty steep learning curve.

	This is a reasonable description of the language and its place within programming styles.

http://www.mathprogramming-intro.org/book/node66.html

	As you can maybe guess, I’m a fan and user, but not otherwise connected.
												- Mark