Rich kids are into COBOL

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Tue Mar 3 20:01:01 CST 2015

From: Mouse
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 2:00 PM

Regarding APL, I had said of my first encounters with it

>> I thought it an interesting toy.

> It is.  But I'd say that's a positive thing; a language that isn't an
> interesting toy - ie, isn't fun to play with - is unlikely to be much
> good for anything larger.

I was 18, and had just learned FORTRAN, COBOL, and PL/1 (still so spelled).
I wasn't *ready* for the interesting languages.  I met LISP 1.5 the next
spring, and didn't see the use in that yet, either.

I got better.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/