imitation game movie

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Feb 11 19:41:10 CST 2015

On 02/11/2015 01:20 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 02/11/2015 10:51 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>> I never understood why bubble memory didn't continue to
>> progress. Vertical
>> Bloch line memory might have eventually developed to the
>> capacity of
>> modern flash memories, and probably not had the wear-out
>> problem.
>> They never would have reached the read performance of
>> flash, but might
>> have kept up with the write performance.
>
> Bulky, power-hungry and expensive, mostly--and slow
> random-access, as it was recirculating.

Well, the original ones were as you say, but there was a lot
of work going on to make
massive improvements.  Yes, you sure would not want to use
them as main CPU
memory.  But, as a solid state disk replacement, as flash
memory sticks are used
today, they might have significant advantages.
> On the other hand, the only thing that seems to be holding
> MRAM and FRAM back is density.  TI is aggressively
> marketing MSP430 MCUs with embedded FRAM.

Yes, the FRAM looks very interesting, they are just starting
about 20 years behind
other technologies.  But, they may catch up.

Jon