9-Track 1/2" Tape Drive Recommendations?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Aug 21 19:30:26 CDT 2015

On 08/21/2015 05:09 PM, Glen Slick wrote:

> I wouldn't want to pay the $310 that was asked for in that listing.
> I got one for free in a rack with some other Sun gear (which I later
> gave away for free) and a couple others that were $100 or less for
> local pickup.

Ditto for the Fuji.  Good solid construction.  Mine came from a fellow
who collected a bunch of Sun gear and the drive was marked as "Does not
power up".  Brand-spanking new--complete with factory QA papers.  It was
marked as being set for 120VAC, but a tiny bit of inspection turned up
the fact that it was really jumpered for 240V.  Change a couple of
jumpers and bingo.

Mine resides in a 6' HP Storage Array rack--those anti-tip slide-outs
have saved me a couple of times.

The Fuji, like a lot of drives from that era, handle only 1600 and 6250
densities, so if you need 800 or 3200, you'll be out of luck.  I've also
got a couple of Qualstar open-reel units and well as an Overland
streamer.  I still like the Fuji best.

My doctor tells me that I have a minor hernia--probably gotten when I
took that drive in the rack and moved it up a short flight of stairs...

--Chuck