9-Track 1/2" Tape Drive Recommendations?

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:09:32 CDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Ali <cctalk at fahimi.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Recently I came across a complete Pertec interface (card, manual, software,
> and, cables) thanks to list-member Shaun. Of course what is the point of
> having an interface if you have nothing to interface it to!

> Of course the biggest problem is finding one locally in the LA area.
> Unfortunately my only resource is eBay and prices there are definitely not
> hobbyist friendly (not to mention shipping). If anyone has a line on a
> working drive in the LA area (to save on S&H and avoid the dangers of
> shipping) or a reasonably priced one elsewhere I'd appreciate it. TIA for
> any help.

I have had good results with Fujitsu M2444AC Pertec interface 9-track
1/2-inch tape drives. I have an ISA bus Computer Logics PCTD-16 Pertec
interface card which I can connect to the drive to read and write
tapes from a PC, and various Q-Bus Pertec interface cards which I have
used to install software from tape on PDP-11 systems (just for the
exercise of doing it a few times).

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/fujitsu/B03P-5325-0100A_02B_M244X_Series_Streaming_Tape_Drive_CE_Manual_May89.pdf

They weigh around 200 pounds so definitely something you want to find
within driving distance instead of shipping. They are manual loading,
which is a plus to me as automatic loaders just have more things to
fail.

Here is an example of some that were listed on eBay for a while and
went unsold possibly within driving distance of you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191640198181?&orig_cvip=true

I wouldn't want to pay the $310 that was asked for in that listing. I
got one for free in a rack with some other Sun gear (which I later
gave away for free) and a couple others that were $100 or less for
local pickup.

-Glen