9-Track 1/2" Tape Drive Recommendations?

Ali cctalk at fahimi.net
Sat Aug 22 00:20:40 CDT 2015

> The Fuji, like a lot of drives from that era, handle only 1600 and 6250
> densities, so if you need 800 or 3200, you'll be out of luck.  I've
> also got a couple of Qualstar open-reel units and well as an Overland
> streamer.  I still like the Fuji best.

Chuck,

As I am more interested in working with the tech and not reading a particular format the lack of support for other formats is okay. I would install mine in an IBM rack I have w/ some IBM 7532s and a bank leased line modems in it. I have to wait and see if I can find a good price on them. I've seen the Qualstar and Overland in the back of PC Magazine ads. They just don't seem as well built. When I look at them I get the feeling they were built for a finite number of years - enough for a company to migrate their data and that was it. I could be wrong but they seem to be all plastic units vs. the rugged construction on the HPs, or the Fujitsus. Heck even the Cipher desktops and the IBM 9438 look more solid than those guys.