Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

cclist at sydex.com cclist at sydex.com
Sun May 31 12:44:05 CDT 2020

On 2020-05-30 14:18, Boris Gimbarzevsky via cctech wrote:
> Chuck, your post just reminded me of how I used FORTRAN to interface
> with my PDP-11 ASM routines when I was doing data acquisition as fast
> as possible on a MINC system.  Perused my FORTRAN code about 6 months
> ago and had common blocks and a routine which took "arrays" which were
> essential chunks of PDP-11 memory that I'd use as data buffers and to
> access data in my ASM routines directly.  Certainly a lot faster than
> doing function calls to get at this data but would now be looked at as
> very "dangerous" programming.

That's why my (long after retirement) interest is mostly in MCU
programming, currently the STM32F7 series.

The processors have all sorts of interesting memory management hardware
built-in, including storage protection, but few people avail themselves
of it.  For me, this allows this once-engineer to get back to playing
with hardware without putting up with the nonsense of a massive
operating system.  I find that very gratifying in my dotage.

Cheers,
Chuck