Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Sat May 30 16:18:32 CDT 2020

Chuck, your post just reminded me of how I used
FORTRAN to interface with my PDP-11 ASM routines
when I was doing data acquisition as fast as
possible on a MINC system.  Perused my FORTRAN
code about 6 months ago and had common blocks and
a routine which took "arrays" which were
essential chunks of PDP-11 memory that I'd use as
data buffers and to access data in my ASM
routines directly.  Certainly a lot faster than
doing function calls to get at this data but
would now be looked at as very "dangerous" programming.

Considering I was limited to <56 Kb of RAM for
all my code and data I used a very stripped down
version of RT-11 and found it simpler to create a
RAMdisk out of the high memory on the 512 Kb
memory card and wrote a VM driver to stash A/D
data there.  For this type of programming one
needs to look at scalability properties of a
system.  That 11/23 system looks like a toy now
compared to a cheap FitBit but the MINC had one
job to do and needed to be pushed to its limits
to do it.  I documented my code well (or so I
thought) but after 30+ years it took me a while
to figure out what I was doing.  For a dedicated
system, code like that is necessary if one
doesn't have the option of getting a more
powerfull machine that can provide the necessary
data acquisition speed as well as allowing "safe"
but much slower code given the need to perform
frequent checks on variables, address bounds,
etc.  One needs a machine that can operate in
supervisor and user modes with supervisor memory
protected but each context switch takes time.

Used to be able to do this sort of stuff with
early Windoze but everything tightly sandboxed
now.  Now, if I want to do any reasonable speed
data acquisition have to build a microprocessor
system which is fun to code and then connect it
via USB to a Windoze "mainframe" for
analysis.  Of course, if one really wants speed,
then one can use Ciarcia's "solder" programming language.

Boris Gimbarzevsky