Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat May 30 17:21:03 CDT 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Oh, FORTRAN can do likewise--I suspect that most languages can be coaxed
> (perhaps with some assembly-language subroutines)to do something nasty.

"A real programmer can write a FORTRAN program in any language."
But, a REAL programmer, such as Chuck, can write any language program in
FORTRAN.

"A computer without FORTRAN or COBOL is like a piece of chocolate cake
without ketchup or mustard."

In addition to GWBASIC, don't forget BASCOM, the Microsoft BASIC compiler.
It's top two uses were
1) a small speed improvement
2) marketing a program written in BASIC without revealing the source code.

Overheard at Comdex:
"What language is it written in?"
"I'm not at liberty to discuss that."
"OK, WHICH BASIC compiler did you use?"