Help installing HP 2000 contributed library in simh

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sun Apr 5 23:41:21 CDT 2020

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 21:54, David Williams via cctech wrote:

> I've been able set up Simh with 2000F TSB and everything is working
> fine. Using the latest release I can find out there, HP2100 release
> 29. Now I'd like to be able to install some of the Contributed
> Software Library but despite reading the various TSB manuals and Simh
> doc, I've been unable to actually get anything loaded.

My acquaintance with the HP Time-Shared BASICs is only passing, and you
didn't mention where you picked up the CSL image, but the ones at Bitsavers
appear to be selective dumps of various accounts.  For those, you'd want to
do a selective load of the desired files from the tape image.

If you're using the 2000F kit from the trailing-edge site, you can use the
"tsb-man" startup file to begin a manual system startup.  You'd answer the
startup questions as follows:

  CONFIGURATION OPTIONS? YES
  NUMBER OF PORTS? <just press ENTER>
  LOAD OR DUMP COMMANDS? LOAD
  ENTER NAME LIST, ONE PER LINE; TERMINATE WITH 'END'

At this point, mount the CSL tape on the tape drive and then enter the
account and file names of the files you wish to restore.  When you enter
the END command, the system will load the named accounts or files from the
tape.

The process is described on pages 4-19 through 4-22 in the "HP 20854A
Timeshared BASIC/2000, Level F System Operator's Manual" (HP part number
02000-90074, Nov-1974) that is available from Bitsavers.

One caveat: I don't know, but I suspect that the selective dump tapes are
version-specific, i.e., one for 2000 Access won't work on 2000F.  I don't
know with which systems the Bitsavers tapes are compatible.

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

Feel free to contact me directly I can clarify anything.

                                      -- Dave