RL02 version of UNIX6?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 19:29:07 CST 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Mark Matlock
>
>     > I also tried an 11/40 but the SET CPU NOEIS in Simh gave me an error
>
> In Ersatz-11, an -11/40 without EIS works properly (i.e. it doesn't :-):
> that's how I recognized his booting error! ;-)
>
>     > From: John Forecast
>
>     > Depending on the state of your EIS board you may want to stay with
> the
>     > original un-mapped system - I suspect that the baseline mapped system
>     > will always try to use the "sob" instruction.
>
> No matter; SOB is part of the baseline instruction set in the -11/40. The
> EIS
> board adds only MUL, DIV, ASH and ASHC.
>
>         Noel

Noel,
Thanks for clarification.

Mark and John,
Summarizing...The disks in the RL01 directory are 5MB, which is the RL01
disk size I believed, but if they are RL02, why would I not use "RL02" in
the simh commands?

For example the code Mark wrote with John's changes, should it not be rlo2,
not rl01?

sim> sho cpu
CPU     11/40, idle enabled, autoconfiguration enabled
        64KB
sim> sh rl
RL      RL11, address=17774400-17774411, vector=160, 4 units
  RL0   2621KW, attached to rsxm32.rl01, on line
        write enabled, RL01
  RL1   2621KW, attached to excprv.rl01, on line
        write enabled, RL01
  RL2   2621KW, attached to mcrsrc.rl01, on line
        write enabled, RL01
  RL3   2621KW, attached to rlutil.rl01, on line
        write enabled, RL01
sim> b rl

---

1. boot the baseline unmapped system as Mark showed below. Make sure your
            system is configured as an 11/40.

        2. type the following at the “>” prompt

                ins $boo
                boo [1,54]rsx11m

          this will boot up the mapped system.

        3. to make this the default (after the acs command wait for a
response that the
            checkpoint file is inactive):

                acs sy:/blks=0
                sav /wb

        now you should have a bootable mapped system which you can copy to
your
        physical RL02.

I plan to use PDPGUI to port the disk images to my PDP 11/40 actual
RL02(s).  I have done this a number of times, built RT-11 versions that
way.  Works well.

Thanks again.

Bill Degnan