RL02 version of UNIX6?

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Sun Feb 5 22:11:51 CST 2017

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 8:29 PM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>> From: Mark Matlock
>>
>>> I also tried an 11/40 but the SET CPU NOEIS in Simh gave me an error
>>
>> In Ersatz-11, an -11/40 without EIS works properly (i.e. it doesn't :-):
>> that's how I recognized his booting error! ;-)
>>
>>> From: John Forecast
>>
>>> Depending on the state of your EIS board you may want to stay with
>> the
>>> original un-mapped system - I suspect that the baseline mapped system
>>> will always try to use the "sob" instruction.
>>
>> No matter; SOB is part of the baseline instruction set in the -11/40. The
>> EIS
>> board adds only MUL, DIV, ASH and ASHC.
>>
>>        Noel
>>

> Noel,
> Thanks for clarification.
>
> Mark and John,
> Summarizing...The disks in the RL01 directory are 5MB, which is the RL01
> disk size I believed, but if they are RL02, why would I not use "RL02" in
> the simh commands?
>
> For example the code Mark wrote with John's changes, should it not be rlo2,
> not rl01?
>
> sim> sho cpu
> CPU     11/40, idle enabled, autoconfiguration enabled
>        64KB
> sim> sh rl
> RL      RL11, address=17774400-17774411, vector=160, 4 units
>  RL0   2621KW, attached to rsxm32.rl01, on line
>        write enabled, RL01
>  RL1   2621KW, attached to excprv.rl01, on line
>        write enabled, RL01
>  RL2   2621KW, attached to mcrsrc.rl01, on lineBRU (Backup and restore
>        write enabled, RL01
>  RL3   2621KW, attached to rlutil.rl01, on line
>        write enabled, RL01
> sim> b rl

	The v3.2 version I have from bitsavers has the baseline disk a few bytes larger than
	an RL01 so simH autosized it (incorrectly) to an RL02. Hopefully Mark’s new sizing
	code should avoid this in the future. To copy an RL01 RSX disk to an RL02 you can use
	BRU (Backup and Restore Utility). Get the magtape image
	BB-L974F-BC_RSX11M_4.5_BRU64K.tap from bitsavers. Attach your RL01 image to
	rl0 and create a new RL02 image attached to rl1. Boot the magtape:

	first device is dl0:
	second device is dl1:

	At the “>” prompt type “run bru”
	At the “BRU>” prompt type “/init dl0: dl1:” and it will perform the copy. If you copied the
	baseline system, you should be able to boot the newly created RL02.

  John.

---