Emails going to spam folder in gmail

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Thu Dec 31 10:35:46 CST 2020

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 10:18:56AM -0500, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
> > Attempting to pull in this thread a tad, there are relatively simple
> > measures that can be taken to bring a private mail server into compliance
> > with gmail, Amazon, Microsoft level mail server protocol and
> > authentication.  Its not just gmail.  The simplest measures are done with
> > DNS and TLS.  Most of the mail that I see routinely falling into spam
> > folder is from what appears to be spoofed domains.  Many of these are legit
> > messages that dont have a properly configured DNS record, preventing the
> > receiving server from authenticating the FROM domain as owned by the
> > sender.  A simple fix.
>
> Well, even with proper DKIM mail and SPF records, Google still sometimes
> shafts my mail. No idea why, no one to talk to on how to make it better, no
> options other than "Get a Google mail account".

Why not both?

I run my own mailserver which handles most of my email (both incoming and
outgoing) and I have a GMail account, mostly for the GSuite, calendar
and such. There is one mailing list that I forward via procmail from
my private email to my GMail account (for reading on the go) and that
works - so far, about 2-4 mails from that setup ended up tagged as spam
this year (out of several mails per day, so while annoying, that is below
the noise threshold).

My mailserver has SPF records and TLS enabled for ... ages. I couldn't
be bothered to setup DKIM yet. The only problems I had was when I was
responding to an email from someone using hotmail and hotmail refused
my reply ... well, I probably don't want to talk to Hotmail users
anyway.

 ¯\_(ö)_/¯

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison