The information age

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Tue Nov 26 14:00:27 CST 2019

On 11/26/19 11:40 AM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019, dwight via cctalk wrote:
>> It is such a shame that in the "information age", we have lost so much
>> of the information. It doesn't help when we have people like Jobs that
>> like to write their own version.
>
> As I understand it, he has personally stopped doing that.

The thing is that all histories are the writer's own version, even ones
that try to record what "really" happened.

>> It is even worse when companies think it is a law suit risk to keep
>> information more than a year. It is all lost.

Having been involved in intellectual property legal discovery, I will
confirm that it can be a risk.

> Not only the liability, but the assumption that it is being stored
> somewhere else, and therefore the physical forms are no more than an
> inconvenient waste of space.
> (cf. 1970s purge of episodes of Doctor Who, and 2019 destruction of all
> YahooGroups files)

I have been involved with making sure that the content of a number of
YahooGroups related to Lotus Cars is not lost. My computer spent 40
hours backing up the 174000 messages posted to the Turbo Esprit group.

But, even if Yahoo hadn't shut it down, most of the info there was not
really usable because there was no good way to search it. At least, now
that we have been chased from Yahoo, the backups that I and others have
made have been copied and spread all over, so it is better preserved,
though not any more accessible.

alan