The information age

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 14:58:41 CST 2019

I have particular interest in early 4004 code. Intel is an empty box. It was just by luck that someone saved many of the original films of the 4004 chips. As for code, I've got a few bits and piece but little original source. I did find some stuff searching the Naval Post Graduate schools library. It is a good thing the government services hang on to things long after they have no value to them ( like 8 inch disk, haa ). Still, only 2 original sources, poorly pdf'ed. This was all work done by students of Gary Kildall ( you remember him, don't you ).
Most know Tom Pittman from his Tiny Basic on the 6502/6800. He also wrote the assembler that ran on a 4004 for the 4004. It was likely the first assembler written to run on same microprocessor. Intel supplied it on EPROMs but the only information I have so far is three of the four EPROMs with good data ( mostly good anyway ) and one almost empty EPROM.
I've contacted Tom about it but after moving from California, he said it is unlikely any of it remains. I keep meaning to make an adjustable threshold 1702 reader but have to many other projects on the fire.
What I did recover was almost lost, I got the ones I'd been looking for from a friend in Norway. He knew I was looking for the set. When he saw them in a pile of 1702s that were being sold, he saved them from being erased because he recognize the Intel EPROM number on the paper tags.
While off little practical use, these are important parts of the thread that brings us to the processors we have today. The loss would have been gone forever had some sharp eyes not noticed them.
Should anyone come across 1702s with A0740,A741,A0742 and especially A0743 tags on them, please don't erase them.
Dwight