Techno-savvy...

Murray McCullough c.murray.mccullough at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 19:01:07 CST 2016

What is a techno-savvy student? Can classic computers possibly give an
answer? I used early microcomputers in my electronics classroom I
taught in the 70’s. Computers back then were rather primitive, not
much better than calculators, but did mimic human learning – well
maybe not advanced enough to deal with calculus! But they did help
with the tedious tasks of generating random #s to start a particular
process -  a game for instance. Maybe not intellectually challenging
nonetheless doing a required job leading today to sophisticated games
that do more than entertain. Back then students were put in groups to
build a work station employing a Commodore 64 or Apple II or Heathkit
H8. Fund-raising bought these computers at the school board was
reluctant to spend money and or political capital that only benefited
the few though we did install a workstation in the library – what
wonder that created as it was small in comparison to the PDP-8.

So what is a techno-savvy student now: Conversant in using a
technological gadget to enhance his/her life? Or being able to build a
computing workstation in high school? Or for simply possessing a basic
understanding of how electronic/computing technology makes life more
bearable, less boring? I don’t have the answers though being 64 I’ve
lived through the evolution of computing technology and seeing how
it’s affected my life good or otherwise! Looking forward to using my
old computers, Coleco ADAM and Haethkit H8, if I can keep them going
by procuring parts, as my dear friend who has them works tirelessly
and I contribute when I get up to the big city in keeping them
functioning. Such are the joys of classic computing. :)