The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:07:36 CDT 2022

> >>Was it SYSGEN?
> >
> >As near as I can tell SYSGEN only modifies a file (or two) but
> >does not copy any files to a new location.
> >
> >Bill
> >

> No, SYSGEN is the CP/M command to initialize a blank, formatted disk with the CP/M system:
>
> “The SYSGEN transient command allows generation of an initialized disk containing the CP/M operating system. The SYSGEN program prompts the console for commands by interacting as shown...” (From http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archive/cpm22htm/ch1.htm#Section_1.6.6).
>
> SYSGEN puts the CP/M system files on a reserved (not visible) area of the disk. It is a separate program, not a built-in command. On the Osborne (which I used), CP/M was 4KB in size. You can use then use PIP to copy the other, visible files.
>
> Bob

This is a very good point. Bill what OS is your hard drive?  I am not
sure if you need the disk you're creating to match the hard drive or
not, but it will make life a lot easier if they are the same.  LDOS,
NEWDOS, TRSDOS, CP/M are all very different and only NEWDOS attempts
at being compatible with other OS's.
Bill