The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 13:59:53 CDT 2022

On 5/11/22 14:51, Robert Feldman via cctalk wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 06:24:38 -0400
>> From: Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com>
>> To: Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com>, "General Discussion: On-Topic and
>     Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>> Subject: Re: The TRS-80 Journey Continues
>>
>>> On 5/10/22 22:33, Fred Cisin wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 May 2022, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>>> DDensity.? I thought there was a single command to make the system
>>> part and then you just added the Utilities you wanted.
>>>

>>> Was it SYSGEN?
>>
>> As near as I can tell SYSGEN only modifies a file (or two) but
>> does not copy any files to a new location.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> No, SYSGEN is the CP/M command to initialize a blank, formatted disk with the CP/M system:
>
> “The SYSGEN transient command allows generation of an initialized disk containing the CP/M operating system. The SYSGEN program prompts the console for commands by interacting as shown...” (From http://www.gaby.de/cpm/manuals/archive/cpm22htm/ch1.htm#Section_1.6.6).
>
> SYSGEN puts the CP/M system files on a reserved (not visible) area of the disk. It is a separate program, not a built-in command. On the Osborne (which I used), CP/M was 4KB in size. You can use then use PIP to copy the other, visible files.

Seems a bunch of crossed wires.  SYSGEN is also a command on LDOS,
LS-DOS, versions of TRS-DOS (that were actually versions of LDOS
or LS-DOS) but with a totally different function.

I didn't now the command off the top of my head but I did  know
that making bootable floppies under CP/M was not difficult.  Just
like moving it to allow for different memory maps.  Something else
that none of the other TRS-80 OSes can do.

bill