Does anyone/museum test disk packs?

Joshua Rice rice43 at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 17 10:26:14 CDT 2022

------ Original Message ------
From: "Bill Gunshannon via cctech" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Sent: Thursday, 17 Mar, 2022 At 14:32
Subject: Re: Does anyone/museum test disk packs?
On 3/17/22 09:33, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
Modern disks still have a filtration system and airflow within the disk.
Air usually gets sucked from the edge then through the spindle and out
the center. In this case I think the spinning created a lower pressure
area where the heads were, resulting in the heads flying too low.
I'll re-look at the RL02 but I believe air was not pulled in from
outside but recirculated from behind the heads under the unit to the
center spindle where it came out, into the center of the pack and across
the heads. Closed system when the lid was closed.
No RL disk I ever had closed tight enough to be considered a Closed
System with lid down.  :-)
bill

That's worth noting. I have one that's in dire need of restoration, with
a sizable chunk missing off the lid by the back hinges. Makes me less
worried about fixing it with tape and cereal boxes
Cheers,
Josh rice