Typing in lost code

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 24 19:54:10 CST 2022

I've tried to OCR old Fortran Code from DTIC pdf documents.  There were
2 big problems;

1. The copies are very poor to start with and all OCR attempts produced
about 75% error rate.
2. Old Fortran code limited variable names to 6 characters so they were
generally not descriptive of what they represented.  Some characters in
the Fortran variables sometimes were missing in the printout and made
recovery nearly impossible.

I hope that now gov't contracts require code to be archived
electronically for posterity.  Probably never happen.

Doug