VAX 780 on eBay

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jan 3 13:56:02 CST 2022

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:47 AM emanuel stiebler via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 2022-01-03 13:19, Ethan Dicks via cctalk wrote:
>
> > Compiling all the code for our product took the 11/750 6 hours to
> > compile and link plus an additional 2 hours for an 11/730 to link
> > under a different version of VMS.  8 hours total to rebuild totally
> > from source.  Some things about the good old days weren't so good.
>
> Disagree here ;-)
> Before you hit compile, you switched your brain on, and thought for a
> while what you did.
>
> When I watch this kids in the office now pressing compile after each
> character they typed, ....

Compilers today tend to still suffer from cascading error problems... I
usually fix as many as I can before that starts to set in and then rebuild.

But I must say that computers are sometimes much better at finding
bugs and problems than I am, even when I'm thinking.  Better to let
automation fix the easy stuff so I can reserve the thinking time for
really hard bugs...

Warner