Testing H745 Regulators

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 18 01:40:48 CST 2022

This
> would slow down the cap charge rate, so it would take longer for the caps
> charge. I can't say I see it 'stopping starting', but it would lengthen
the time to
> 'start'. How long depends on the numbers. There may also be some
> dependance on how your bench PS responds in current limit.

But if that was the case shouldn't it just take a bit of time to get going,
once the input cap has charged wouldn't it start regulating? It shouldn't
take more than a few seconds, but it never seems to start. Anyway with the
H745 the problem seems to be elsewhere.

> On 2022-Feb-17, at 10:19 PM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
> > Regarding the rating I am not clear what the rating of the original part
is, I
> haven't been able to find a datasheet for it, I have seen suggestions for
both
> 20A and 35A, I do know that the H745 regulator is fed 20-30VAC from a
> transformer.
> >
> > So presumably going for a 35A rating is the safer bet, and going for a
> minimum of 50V peak reverse voltage would be sufficient?
>

> At 30VAC input, peak V is ~ 44V, you're probably better off with
rectifiers
> higher than 50 PIV to provide some safety margin.

I always forget that the VAC is the RMS and not the peak-to-peak. I will
look for a minimum rating of 100V.

Thanks

Rob