Testing H745 Regulators

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 18 00:29:39 CST 2022

On 2022-Feb-17, at 2:38 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
> [...]

Presumably your high test load plus the initial cap-charge current is pushing the bench PS into current limit, that is, with a high load there is less available current to charge the caps before the bench PS starts current limiting. This would slow down the cap charge rate, so it would take longer for the caps to charge. I can't say I see it 'stopping starting', but it would lengthen the time to 'start'. How long depends on the numbers. There may also be some dependance on how your bench PS responds in current limit.

On 2022-Feb-17, at 10:19 PM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
> Regarding the rating I am not clear what the rating of the original part is, I haven't been able to find a datasheet for it, I have seen suggestions for both 20A and 35A, I do know that the H745 regulator is fed 20-30VAC from a transformer.
>
> So presumably going for a 35A rating is the safer bet, and going for a minimum of 50V peak reverse voltage would be sufficient?

At 30VAC input, peak V is ~ 44V, you're probably better off with rectifiers higher than 50 PIV to provide some safety margin.