Retro networking / WAN communities

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Apr 12 01:30:36 CDT 2022

Grant Taylor wrote:
> I think of Tymnet as a service and not as much as a protocol.  Though
> maybe it implies a protocol and I'm unaware of it.

Tymshare was a service, but the computers talked to each over over a
vast network.  The network was spun off as a separate business.  There
is code available for the SDS 940, Tymeshare's TYMCOM-X, and TENEX.

> Isn't Chaosnet mostly used in LISP machines?

Yes, but also all over the MIT campus really.  There is Chaosnet for
4.1BSD, if that's your thing.  Also various PDP-10 systems: ITS,
TOPS-20, TENEX.