Retro networking / WAN communities

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 15:58:47 CDT 2022

> On Apr 11, 2022, at 3:36 PM, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 11, 2022, at 10:27 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> I still have 10 Mb Ethernet at home (on my Pro, and while it's not in use I have a few 10Base2 bits).  And I did ATM for a living for about 5 years, back around 1995, so I can still talk a bit of that.
>>
>> Hey, you didn't mention FDDI.  :-)
>>
>> 	Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
> You’re one of the people I’d expect to be running 10Base-2 at home.

:-)

>  I only have one 10Mbit switch still online, it’s for my DECserver 90TL, the only 10Base-2 device that I keep online (I have a couple others).

I don't have a 10Base2 switch, but I have an old repeater with 4-5 10BaseT ports and a 10Base2 port.  And I have a 10Base2 transceiver (as well as 2 or 3 10BaseT transceiver).  Good thing because the Pro has an AUI connector.

> All my 10Base-T devices are plugged into 1Gbit managed switches.

Same here, except unmanaged.  I didn't realize until years into the 1G era that 1G is backwards compatible TWO generations, not the usual one.  And the switch seems to be happy to speak 10 Mb half duplex, nice.

	paul