Quantum ATL-7100 DLT Changer in SLC

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sat Apr 9 10:58:28 CDT 2022

You wouldn’t be able to put TK-70 drives in this, wrong interface.  I don’t know if DEC DLT drives capable of reading TK50’s and TK70’s will work in one.  We only used DLT III and DLT IV tapes in them.  We first got one of these something like 25 years ago.  The earliest ones are rock solid, really well built, and very simple to repair.  Same with the smaller Quantum 4/52.  At the time Quantum wouldn’t send out a Quantum FE to work on the 4/52’s or 7100’s.  I’d get the guy out to diagnose the problem, get the replacement parts ordered, and then when the parts came in I’d never tell him, I simply replaced them myself.  Just be careful when taking the big side panel off that hides the electronics, otherwise you’ll rip out the sense switch.  If you can find a source of spares, you can probably keep one of these going without too much trouble.

As for the problem this one has, with the load port, just fold a piece of corrugated cardboard in half, and use it to hold the door close, I ran one in production for a couple years, so I could avoid putting in a service call.

I’ve worked with Tape Libraries for over 25 years, and the 4/52 and 7100 are two of my favorites.  The Quantum P3000 is my least favorite.  The Quantum i2000’s and i6000’s were also rock solid, but I wouldn’t want one of those at home.

On the topic of old Quantum tape libraries, does anyone happen to know of a company that will provide 3rd Party support on them?

Zane