PDP 11/24 - A Step Backwards

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 3 01:43:14 CDT 2022

BUF
>     > DCLO H at an average 1.64V
>
> Yeah, that's wrong. E52 is bad, and will have to be replaced.
>
> (From the +5V on BUS DCLO, I guess you're relying on the pullup? DCLO on
> the UNIBUS, with the resistor network on the M9302, should be about 3.5V -
> but now I'm confused, even with the P/S connector unplugged, it should
still
> be 3.5V or so. Oh well, it's late, the brain is powering down... :-)

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did plug the connector back in, so that DCLO and
LTC are connected, I just removed the ACLO pin.

> The 'unused' gate in E52 is the one that the added wires from the ACLO ECO
> went to; I wonder if it was damaged by the -15V, somehow?

Oh, I forgot about that! That would seem highly likely.

>     > logical 0 output should be 0.4V max
>
> Which is what you should be seeing.
>
>     > I also measured K6 BUF DCLO L to be always low, suggesting it thinks
>     > the K6 BUF DCLO H is a logical 1.
>
> Yup; and that definitely explains why the clock isn't running - BUF DCLO L
is
> clearing E41 on K1.
>
> Anyway, you'll have to replace E52 (which will be a bit of a pain, with
the 3
> ECO eires tacked to it). The DS8641 is an old chip, no longer in
production, so
> the usual suppliers may not have it, but there are some on eBait.

I didn't look for replacements last night. Is there a modern equivalent? My
initial searches show there isn't but I may have found a source of NOS.

Worried about replacing it with the ECO wires as you say, I always marvel at
how neatly those wires are done, I wish I knew how to do such a neat job.

Thanks

Rob