Unix or BSD for Dec PDP 11/34 and 11/45

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 17 08:08:17 CDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 6:29 AM devin davison via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Thank you for the valuable information.
> It seems like v7 unix will be the way to go. Perhaps i can get some uucp
> connection going over a serial line out of the machine, that could be
> interesting.
>
> I found this page, and it confirms what you said about 2.11 bsd, not
> compatible with the 11/34 cpu.
>
> https://minnie.tuhs.org/PUPS/node6.html
>
> On the same page, there is mention of 2.9 bsd, and the 11/34 is listed as
> compatible. Is tcpip availible in this version?

No. 2.9BSD does not have TCP/IP. At least the distributions on TUHS don't
have it. 2.10 is the first one I can find with TCP/IP.

Ultrix 3.1 does have TCP, but it's not the most stable system when you
use it. It's kinda sorta 2.9BSD with some of the networking bits glued in.

Warner