HP 5061-3476: Which boards go where

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Sep 13 00:22:17 CDT 2021

On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 21:31, Chris Zach via cctech wrote:

> Ok, thanks!

You're welcome.

> I just tried mine again, it's a dud so I am going to have to figure it
> out. First step was to see if the rectifier had any voltage so I
> disconnected the + side and checked it with a voltmeter. With 120v
> plugged in I saw 200v DC which is probably not too far off. That seems
> to go to the inverter card, which I don't know what it's doing with
> that.

There's a reasonably complete theory of operation of the "B" power supply
(which is what you have) in section IXB of the HP 1000 M/E/F-Series
Computers Engineering and Reference Documentation.  There were several
revisions of the "B" supply, but they all used the same motherboard (as far
as I know), so the various plug-in card functions would be pretty much
equivalent across versions.

> Is there a block schematic of what does what on this PS?

Page IXB-6 of the above manual has one.  There's also a troubleshooting
flowchart on page IXC-3.  Section IXC is specifically for your supply
version and has the appropriate schematics, but the theory from the earlier
"B" supply should be broadly applicable.

                                      -- Dave