Scanning Suggestions (Bookmarks & Colour)

Paul Flo Williams paul at frixxon.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 11:21:39 CDT 2021

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:10:50 +0100
Antonio Carlini via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 02/09/2021 20:51, Paul Flo Williams via cctalk wrote:
> >
> > I haven't finished writing this up, but my workflow tends to be to
> > produce a Group4 TIFF from the colour scan by simple thresholding
> > (or first dropping the other colours to white, if they are quite
> > dark), and then produce all the other separations by dropping black
> > out, converting your spot colour to black and then thresholding.
> > This way you get two or more images:
> >
> > 1) PNG(s) containing pixels that are all either white or your spot
> > colour,
> > 2) a G4 TIFF for the black and white layer.
>
> As I'm in the process of scanning manuals right now, and I'd like to
> preserve the colour, I'm looking forward to the write up.

https://hisdeedsaredust.com/2021/09/10/colour-separations-with-graphicsmagick.html

You're welcome to send me any sample scans of your RSX manuals,
Antonio, because I'd like to see the results with other colours. I've
been processing light blue, green and brown separations on other
manuals and doing a lot of coding, generalising my toolchain at the
moment and filing issues with GraphicsMagick on the way.

(Incidentally, I've improved that PDF from a week ago to add bookmarks
and proper page labels. Link in article; much more needing to be
written.)

Regards,
Paul