Sun-2 and Sun-3 mice (eBay)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:16:31 CDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Alan Perry via cctech
<cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I would be more concerned about paying $50 for an untested mouse.

I half expect that the LEDs need to be replaced - that was a common
problem with this type of mouse.  The IR LED in particular was driven
hard and dimmed with age after a few years of being powered on.

That's an easy and expected fix.  What would be entirely uncool, and
was the reason I didn't drop $65 incl postage on it, is if the cable
had damage to it.  That's the part that's unique to the Sun3, the
cable and connector.

> The mouse that came with my 3/260 was yellowed but otherwise looked
> fine.  Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Even if the LEDs light up, a mouse that won't track can still have
worn-out LEDs.  Definitely check that first.  If it's totally inert
(no bits of any kind, not even button clicks), then that's a different
matter.

> I still haven't restored the 3/260 enough to be able to use a mouse, but
> someday ...

I got around to fixing up my 3/60 to bring to VCF a couple of years
ago, but I had to borrow a suitable mouse.

The other angle I have is to finish my DA15-DIN8 converter so I can
use a newer mouse/keyboard.  I _have_ a Sun3 keyboard (cost me more
than the 3/60!) and I like to have that for exhibition, but just to
use the machine, I don't mind using a Sun4 or Sun5 keyboard with  it.

-ethan