Looking for info on memory

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Oct 21 09:58:09 CDT 2021

On 10/21/2021 9:10 AM, Nigel Johnson Ham via cctalk wrote:
> Thanks, but like bitsavers they are all older that the one I have.
>
> To be honest, I never saw anything Plessey bigger than 128kB in the
> wild, so I have to wonder what kind of machine this board came from,
> although it was in a pile of Qbus things that I got the J boards from.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe it was not sold separately, but an OEM build for
> military etc, and perhaps it is jumpered to get power from memory - but
> without the manual or tracing the lands I can't really tell.

Wait, that could be it: If the board is jumpered to power the memory
refresh/chips from battery then of course it wouldn't work without it.

Should be easy to check: Find the battery +5 and +12 pins on the Q bus
then use a tester meter to check from those pins to any of the jumper
pins. If you find continuity to a jumper that is closed you might have
identified the problem :-)