PDP-11 Unix V7M-11 V1.0 under SIMH

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Mon Oct 4 18:42:49 CDT 2021

> I doubt you'll be able to use anything other than a RD51 drive - as
> this ancient V7M doesn't yet support newer drive types.  You might
> be able to put some of the system files on an RL02 - but I haven't confirmed
> there's a RL02 boot loader on this kit.

Interesting. Given that it's MSCP it should be just a matter of mapping
out the sectors and such. But to be honest, naah. I have a copy of
Ultrix-11 on 20 or so floppies here, I think I'd just use that on an
RD54 and be done with it.

Oddly enough I do have a copy of Pro/Venix 1.0 that would fit on a
Pro/350 with a 5mb hard drive. Slow as *dirt*, you could literally watch
the hard drive seek back and forth with the little arm on the side. But
it did work. Unfortunately I only have a pair of Pro/380's these days so
I'd have to use Venix 2.0 which is probably less fun :-)

> Back in 1983 the PDP-11/23-PLUS was a relatively *new* machine.  There's
> later versions of Ultrix-11 (V2 and later) that added support for the 11/73
> and bigger drives - look on the Unix Heritage Society site under Unix
> Archive.  There's a downloadable installation tape for Ultrix-11 there.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever written a loader to allow one to copy
a SIMH tape file onto a real tape drive via serial like that pdp11GUI
allows you to load up an RL02/RX02/MSCP drive? I do have a working TK50
and a TK70 (and know how to fix them) and they are pretty nice units.