FS : IBM Magnetic cards for IBM selectric "compocarte" (?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jan 3 15:27:01 CST 2020

On 1/3/20 12:50 PM, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
> The magcard selectric was capable of a lot of basic word processing
> functions as could the MT/ST before it.  One function it was really
> useful for was creating personalized form letters. The body of the
> letter could be stored and personalizations filled in as it printed.
> The MT/ST and magcard also had a model with a composer version of the
> selectric connected.  The composer version had an escapement mechanism
> that could do proportional spacing, this mechanism was complicated and
> from what OP technician told me tricky to adjust, and it didn't help
> that customer using composers where very picky about the print quality
> as composers where often use to prepare copy for printing.  I have also
> seen selectric mechanisms that used a lead screw to move the print head
> which would be an easier way to implement proportional spacing. Watching
> a video of an electronic composer typing suggests it may have used this
> mechanism as the carriage motion looks smoother that what you get with
> an escapement rack.    There was also a version of magcard machine that
> had a IBM Executive type bar typewriter attached, the Executive also did
> proportional spacing. There was also a selectric called the "Memory
> Typewriter" that could store documents on a wide loop of tape the was
> inside a slightly enlarged selectic.  The last version of the magcard
> machines where equipped with a daisy wheel printer in place of a selectric.

I used a Model B Executive for a few years as my office typewriter.
Superb text quality; good enough for publication.  They were available
in several type styles and sizes.  Can easily be distinguished by the
split space bar.

There also was a version of the tape station for the MT/ST that could be
used as a S/370 peripheral.  Probably not very common.

--Chuck