Scanning incomplete and updated documents

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Fri Apr 17 16:42:56 CDT 2020

On Apr 17, 2020, at 9:02, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:
> As I noted, the two sets of appendices are mostly completely different. There are 9 appendices that look like they are from the primary document and 5 that look like they are from inserted pages. Both sets start numbering from "A". There is one title shared between the two sets.
>
> But the really interesting thing is that the copyright date on the "primary" document is AFTER the date in the footers of the "inserted" pages.

Do not underestimate the powers of humans to make errors when creating or applying updates.

> FYI - the document is Computervision CADDStation System Software Installation.
>
> So, any recommendations on what I should do?
>
> Also, any recommendations on a software tool to slice and dice PDFs that is inexpensive?

Depends what you want to do.  On a Mac, I use Preview which is the default PDF viewer; it allows me to cut, copy and paste scanned pages from one PDF to another.

I also do some things with Perl and CAM::PDF which makes writing filter-like programs that do page-level operations fairly easy, e.g. I have one that deletes the odd-numbered pages from a stdin-supplied PDF and writes the resulting PDF to stdout and I think it’s about 12 lines total.  Anyone care to guess what my use case for this is?

-Frank McConnell