Scanning incomplete and updated documents

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Fri Apr 17 01:37:59 CDT 2020

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 23:18, Frank McConnell wrote:

> Sometimes I have come across shrink-wrapped manuals and later updates,
> and scanned them as found.  I wouldn´t want to deny other people the
> opportunity to apply updates to manuals, you know?

Oh yes, especially the ones that would say, "Insert the six paragraphs
below between the third and fourth lines of page 23."  :-)

I used to despise HP when they would send updates that consisted of
instructions to modify existing manual pages instead of sending replacement
pages.  I recall one update, maybe for the HP 64000 logic station mainframe
service manual, that instructed me to change a dozen or so schematics --
simple things, like "replace feedback resistor R23 with the active filter
circuit shown below."  That one got stuck in the front of the outdated
manual, as I just couldn't bring myself to butcher the pages as they
required....

When it came to manual updates, the Logic Systems Division was aptly named.

                                      -- Dave