SCSI2SD: Is it worth a try?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 03:22:19 CDT 2019

I a pre-V6 one for my Atari but have never used it in the Atari.
It is now in my IBM PC Server but its only used for backup.
Its in a single ended SCSI-1 card and its noticeably slower than the fast/wide spinning disks in the RAID array.

> Versions up to 5 seem to be GPLed and reasonably available. V6 does not
> seem to have schematics or boards open sourced and I haven't seen a
> supplier for them. The web page lists some sources, but they don't have the
> V6 available.

V5 is GPL and the guy who built it was more than willing to talk about the code.
I was wondering about adding tape support but he says that’s harder than you think...

> It looks like the V6 is not open because someone used the design without
> following the GPL.

Yes, Chinese vendors...

> V6 claims synchronous transfers, but I don't think most of my hardware
> supports it. That consists of VAXstations and qbus scsi cards. If I was after
> speed I wouldn't be using old hardware, but the speed has to be consistent
> with the era.

I think a lot of hardware supports synchronous transfers. I think for me it was the narrow/wide that slowed it down.

> Chuck

Dave