SCSI2SD: Is it worth a try?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Mon Mar 18 22:51:15 CDT 2019

On 3/18/2019 9:15 PM, Charles Dickman via cctalk wrote:
> What is the experience with the SCSI2SD with old computers? It looks to be
> SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 compatible and I see a lot of reports of usage on this
> list. I am curious about how well it works and which version to get.
>
> Versions up to 5 seem to be GPLed and reasonably available. V6 does not
> seem to have schematics or boards open sourced and I haven't seen a
> supplier for them. The web page lists some sources, but they don't have the
> V6 available.
>
> It looks like the V6 is not open because someone used the design without
> following the GPL.
>
> V6 claims synchronous transfers, but I don't think most of my hardware
> supports it. That consists of VAXstations and qbus scsi cards. If I was
> after speed I wouldn't be using old hardware, but the speed has to be
> consistent with the era.
>
> Chuck

I've had mixed success.  Neither a V5.1 nor a V6.03 worked with my MicroVAX 3100 M95, it's built in SCSI interface and OpenVMS V7.3.  Light access worked but as soon as you tried any kind of actual work it threw hoards of mount verification messages and errors piled up and became unusuable.

On the other hand, the V5.1 worked terrific on my Compaq AlphaServer DS10 with a Qlogic ISP1020 SCSI card and OpenVMS V8.4

Others have had success with MicroVAXen and V7.3 and earlier so I think it's my system, but I haven't had time to work it out yet.

--
John H. Reinhardt
   PRRT&HS  #8909