DEC KA650 VAX memory troubleshooting (video)

Joe Zatarski joezatarski at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 09:38:52 CDT 2019

sorry, the technical manual actually, which has an architecture *chapter*
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/650/

The idea, eventually, is that I will publish my notes so that you wouldn't
need the logic analyzer, at least for the 8MB board. I just had it hooked
up, so I demoed it. The notes will include a mapping of bits and adresses
to ICs so that you can narrow down which chip from just the ROM monitor. I
don't have a 16MB board, but somebody could honestly probably figure out
the mapping with a logic probe if they had to, just probe /cas while
writing various test addresses, then check the data line while writing
various test patterns. I also came up with some data that produces useful
ECC bits, like all 1s, all 0s, one bit set only, and one bit clear only.
That will also be in the notes when I write it up.