IBM 5160 with oddball MDA input/output card

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sat Jul 27 18:28:10 CDT 2019

On 7/26/2019 12:47 PM, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:

> That's an interesting beast. I did wonder if this was something along
> those lines, too, i.e. a non-x86 processor card for the purposes of
> emulating something else - but the only one I'm aware of is the XT/370,
> and I don't believe that did any kind of video pass-through (that and I
> think it was a three-board set, where this is two at most).

The XT/370 proper was a two board set:  a processor card (P-Card) and a
memory card (M-Card).  The XT/370 also came with a 3270 coax terminal
emulation card, which might be the card you are thinking of.  (And no,
the XT/370 did not have anything special, video-wise).

The 3270/PC had a special setup where the keyboard connected to a
special connector, which connected to a special keyboard card, and also
to the normal PC keyboard connector -- but nothing like what you are
describing (it was only a DB9 or 15).

JRJ