RS232 Communications HP9000 Series 320

Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez ce.murillosanchez at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 22:14:54 CDT 2019

Roger Addy via cctech wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First post here.  I have a HP9000 Series 320 computer with a HP Drive
> system.  It uses the HPL 2.1 (I think) operating system. I'm trying to
> get some ASCII files out of the system using the RS232 port.  The port
> is female DB9, so I'm assuming it's DCE.  I got an HP cable DB9 to
> DB25 which reorients the pins to PC standard RS232 DTE.  I can get a
> connection with the HP. but when I try to send a file it just shows
> the word "PROMPT" on the PC. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
> I'm currently using Tera Term.  Any advice is appreciated.
I have this HP cable part # 98561-61604, which I think is exactly for
early HP9000-300 machines.  It is a male DE-9 to female DB-25 cable, and
the pinout is as follows:

Male DE9         Female DB25
--------         ----------
1 ---------------- 20 DTR

Clearly, the DE-9 is not a PC-style serial pinout.

carlos.