Archiving information, was Re: ADM-3A question

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Aug 15 19:38:13 CDT 2019

    > From: Seth J. Morabito

    >> having stuff scattered across a zillion personal pages (be they blogs,
    >> or whatever) is going to make it hard to find the useful one when
    >> needed

    > The sheer vastness of content available, combined with a Google
    > monoculture, combined with a concerted attempt to GAME the Google
    > monoculture, is making search and discovery hard

An additional issue, I think, is that Google is deprecating sites that use
HTTP, versus HTTPS. I can't comment more, lest I start ranting at the utter
stupidity of forcing everyone to use HTTPS. But if those blogs are using
HTTP, that will push them down the results.

    > I honestly don't know what to do about it. I don't have a better idea,
    > unless we go back to something like a directory-style curated
    > experience, a-la Yahoo! circa 1998-ish.

I'm not sure that would scale to cover detailed pages on obsolete computers;
why is a manual indexer going to cover them?

Anyway, the whole 'how do we find the info' is a part of why I started
working on CHWiki, once I discovered it - in addition to the usual advantages
of wikis (good for collaboration, good for adding stuff incrementally), it
would put all the info in one place, a 'one stop shopping' for old computer
info.

But when I tried to convince people to post stuff there, instead of on their
blogs, I got at least one person who was pretty vehement that no way in h***
were they going to stop putting their stuff in their own blog.

	Noel